Style: Adult contemporary; compare to Russ Lee, 4HIM, Bryan Duncan, Phillips, Craig, & Dean
Top tracks: "Magnet," "Too Wonderful"
After several lead singer switches, Russ Lee returns to NewSong and picks up right where he left off in 2000. Sure, his pipes are pristine and Charlie Peacock adds glistening production, but the tunes nonetheless feel frozen in the group's 1990s contemporary pop peak. Add in commonplace lyrics of encouraging generalities, alongside some seriously sappy moments, and Newsong's latest sounds more like a tired try at re-creating the past than it does a robust reunion with its famed front man.1
Already a CT subscriber? Log in for full digital access.
Find hope and historical insight. For a limited time, explore 60+ years of CT archives for free!
- Daily devotions from Timothy Dalrymple during this pandemic.
- Hundreds of theology and spiritual formation classics from Philip Yancey, Elisabeth Elliot, John Stott, and more.
- Home delivery of new issues in print with access to all past issues online.
- View the complete archive.
- Join now and get print issues access to archive PDFs.