Style: Southern soul; compare to Ernie Haase & Signature Sound, The Martins, Blind Boys of Alabama
Top tracks: "Better Day," "When He Blest My Soul," "He Is Here"
Having mentored dozens of award-winning vocalists throughout its 30 years, the Gaither Vocal Band is experiencing a revival thanks to the reunion of group legends Michael English, Mark Lowry, and David Phelps. Anchored by five-year vet Wes Hampton and founder Bill Gaither, the vocal dream team soulfully belts, croons, and scats over 13 southern tunes of real life and sweet redemption. Matching members' extensive vocal experience with equally diverse tracks, including laidback ukulele strums, a honky upright piano a la Harry Connick, Jr., and a classical incorporation of Canon in D on "You Are My All in All," these down-to-earth harmony singers issue yet another collection worthy of their Grammy-winning catalog.
Copyright © 2010 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingAfter Nashville, Moral Numbness Is Our EnemyShootings have become normal to the American public. But as Christians, we know better.
- From the MagazineWhy Does Creation Groan?Scripture and science suggest that animal suffering fits into a divine artistic story.
- Editor's PickThis Palm Sunday, Ponder Donkeys, Not BranchesFor his entry into Jerusalem, Jesus picked a symbol of lowliness rather than military might.