You know summer has arrived when libraries launch mega reading programs, kids breeze through dozens of books to win Pizza Hut personal pan pizzas, and just about every magazine and news site—including CT's "Theology in the News" writer, Collin Hansen—compiles a must-read summer reading list. The women's blog is no exception, though we thought it more interesting to see what our bloggers plan to read this summer, and hear what you plan to read as well. Two books made more than one list: Unsqueezed, Margot Starbuck's follow-up to last year's The Girl in the Orange Dress, and sex-and-spirituality writer Donna Freitas's new young-adult fiction book, This Gorgeous Game. And one of our own bloggers—Amy Julia Becker, for Penelope Ayers: A Memoir—made blogger Ellen Painter Dollar's list.
What books do you plan to read? Share them in the comments section, and enjoy the wealth of options below.
- Unsqueezed: Springing Free from Skinny Jeans, Nose Jobs, Highlights, and Stilettos, by Margot Starbuck
- The Blind Contessa's New Machine, by Carey Wallace
- Inventing the Feeble Mind: A History of Mental Disability in the United States, by James W. Trent
- Accompany Them with Singing: The Christian Funeral, by Thomas Long
- Let the Great World Spin, by Colum McCann
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer (I keep hearing things about it and I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet. Plus, it was on the shelf when I was last at the library.)
- The Quotidian Mysteries: Laundry, Liturgy and "Women's Work," by Kathleen Norris (This has been on my to-read list for a while; perhaps I spend too much time on laundry, liturgy, and "women's work" to want to read about it when I'm not doing it.)
Already a CT subscriber? Log in for full digital access.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more