Style: A mish-mash of classic blues sounds; compare to B.B. King, Bonnie Raitt
Top tracks: "Rollin' and Tumblin,'" "Just Your Fool," "Shattered Dreams"
You know her from "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" and Celebrity Apprentice—but did you know that Cyndi Lauper is also a blues singer? If you've heard her Body Acoustic, you know that's not such a stretch; for everyone else, she hedges her bets by picking genre standards (some of them overly familiar), and by surrounding herself with musicians who have serious blues cred. Charlie Musselwhite adds harmonica boogie-woogie, Allen Toussaint brings a touch of New Orleans soul, and Ann Peebles shows up for a duet, adding a flavor of down-home gospel fervor.
Copyright © 2010 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingTim Keller and Beth Moore, On and Off the StageBoth leaders have huge followings. But how well do we really know them?
- From the MagazineIs It Time to Quit ‘Quiet Time’?Effective biblical engagement must be about more than one’s personal experience with Scripture.
- Editor's PickCriminal or Not, Trump’s Case Is a Moral Test for ChristiansThe former president’s potential arrest shows that character does matter.