Style: Contemplative pop; compare to Tenth Avenue North, Jason Ingram, MercyMe
Top tracks: "Holding You," "Trust," "I Couldn't Love You More"
The solo debut from the singer of Sanctus Real doesn't sound anything like his band. Thematically, it's a cathartic songwriting release after Hammit's son Bowen (now one) was diagnosed with a severe congenital heart defect. The family's range of emotions in the wake of two open heart surgeries and other complications comprise the lyrics, conveyed ever so appropriately throughout tender acoustics and piano ballads. Though the softer, sometimes similar musical textures aren't as contagious as Sanctus Real's stadium shaking hits, the vulnerable storytelling will inspire those in similar situations.
Copyright © 2011 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingJunia, the Female Apostle Imprisoned for the GospelWhat Scripture tells us about the story of this “outstanding” Jewish woman in chains.Português
- From the MagazineIs It Time to Quit ‘Quiet Time’?Effective biblical engagement must be about more than one’s personal experience with Scripture.
- Editor's PickAfter Nashville, Moral Numbness Is Our EnemyShootings have become normal to the American public. But as Christians, we know better.