Each article in The Wondrous Cross reflects on a piece of music as a way to delve deeper into the meaning of Christ’s suffering, death, and resurrection. These songs of the Cross gives form and voice to the resounding response of our souls. They express the Good News that reverberates even in the darkest moments of Jesus’ passion—and in the darkest moments of our own lives.
You can listen to each song mentioned in the special issue on our Spotify playlist:
Alternately, you can listen to the songs via the following YouTube videos:
“O Sacred Head Now Wounded” is featured in the introduction by Kelli B. Trujillo.
“When I Survey the Wondrous Cross” is featured in “The Cross Is the Great Revealer” by Jay Y. Kim. Here’s a choral version as well as a version by Sandra McCracken:
“And Can It Be That I Should Gain” is featured in “’Tis Mystery All” by J. Todd Billings.
“Ah, Holy Jesus, How Have You Offended” is featured in “Love Unswerving” by Fernando Ortega.
“There Is a Fountain Filled with Blood” is featured in “Our Bloody Plunging” by Rachel Gilson. Here’s Willie Nelson’s recording as well as an instrumental rendition of the song:
“Were You There” is featured in “Weighing Our Answers” by Patricia Raybon.
Lux Aeterna is featured in “In Grief, Our Consolation” by Makoto Fujimura.
“Christ the Lord Is Risen Today” is featured in “Love’s Redeeming Work Is Done” by Jen Wilkin. Here’s a choral version as well as an acoustic rendition of the song:
“Ain’t No Grave” is featured in “The Resurrection to Come” by Carolyn Arends. Below are four versions of the song that are discussed in the article, from Brother Claude Ely, Bozie Sturdivant, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, and Johnny Cash.
We asked several additional Christian leaders and musicians to share some of their favorite songs of Easter. You’ll find their nominations below:
Three contributors to this resource—Jay Y. Kim, Fernando Ortega, and Carolyn Arends—discuss the stories behind their devotional reflections in this webinar from Renovaré in partnership with CT.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingEvangelicals Are the Most Beloved US Faith Group Among EvangelicalsAnd among the worst-rated by everybody else.
- From the MagazineWhy Does Creation Groan?Scripture and science suggest that animal suffering fits into a divine artistic story.
- RelatedCompany that Trademarked ‘Worship Leader’ Makes Others Drop the TermPopular meme accounts lose social media pages after being reported by Authentic Media, which says it coined the phrase.
- Editor's PickDante Bowe Navigates Worship in the SpotlightAfter leaving Maverick City Music, the singer is launching his own label focused on authenticity in a field increasingly crowded by celebrity.