Subscribe to this Podcast:
Rick Warren needs very little introduction. The planter and pastor of Saddleback Church in Orange County, California, for 43 years, Warren is widely considered one of the most influential spiritual leaders in America. His book The Purpose-Driven Life has been translated into 137 languages and sold more than 50 million copies.
And yet, on February 21, the Southern Baptist Convention disfellowshipped Saddleback Church due to its hiring of a female teaching pastor.
On this episode of The Russell Moore Show, Warren and Moore discuss the SBC’s decision and how it reflects on the convention’s response to sexual abuse. They talk about women in ministry, how to determine primary and secondary theological issues, and what healthy pastoral transitions may look like. And they share profound reasons for hope when it comes to the gospel going forth among the nations—even in a time when many fear Christianity’s influence is diminishing.
Tune in for an episode that acknowledges the difficulties of Christian life and ministry while celebrating the goodness of God.
Resources mentioned in this episode include:
- The Purpose-Driven Life by Rick Warren
- Created to Dream by Rick Warren
- Rick Warren's Bible Study Methods by Rick Warren
- 700 Plans to Evangelize the World by David B. Barrett and James W. Reapsome
- A Theology for the Church edited by Daniel L. Akin (chapter referenced: “Conclusion: The Pastor as Theologian” by R. Albert Mohler Jr.)
- One Divine Moment edited by Robert E. Coleman and David J. Gyertson
Click here for a trial membership at Christianity Today.
“The Russell Moore Show” is a production of Christianity Today
Executive Producers: Erik Petrik, Russell Moore, and Mike Cosper
Host: Russell Moore
Producer: Ashley Hales
Associate Producers: Abby Perry and Azurae Phelps
CT Administration: Christine Kolb
Social Media: Kate Lucky
Director of Operations for CT Media: Matt Stevens
Production Assistance: coreMEDIA
Audio Engineer: Kevin Duthu
Coordinator: Beth Grabenkort
Video Producer: John Roland
Theme Song: “Dusty Delta Day” by Lennon Hutton
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingHillsong Says It Is Moving ForwardNew revelations will require increased accountability, but pastor wants to look to the future.
- From the MagazineJohn 3:16: So Loved, So FamiliarWe need fresh eyes for our faith’s basic teachings, no matter how long we’ve studied the Bible.简体中文繁體中文
- RelatedRick Warren: The Great Commission’s ‘Go and Teach’ Applies to WomenThe former pastor of ex-SBC Saddleback shares why his views on women changed.
- Editor's PickCriminal or Not, Trump’s Case Is a Moral Test for ChristiansThe former president’s potential arrest shows that character does matter.