In the Times of London, a correspondent has said that the Christian Church today has two radically different views of how to change the world. One way advocated is personal regeneration and spiritual and moral influence, represented by Billy Graham; the other, world revolution and the corporate church’s engagement in political affairs, represented by Martin Luther King.
A dramatic moment in the World Congress on Evangelism opened a wide window on the redemptive power of the Gospel. Two Auca Indians from the jungles of eastern Ecuador, where five missionaries were martyred about eleven years ago, told how they had “lived like animals before we believed” and how Christ has transformed them and the Auca village of Tiwaeno.
No sooner had these Indians finished giving their witness for Christ at the Berlin Kongresshalle than a black-skinned African delegate stood up, ran down the aisle, leaped onto the platform, and threw his arms around one of the Aucas in a fervent Christian embrace. Only a century ago the Gospel had reached the interior of Africa; now Auca and African could rejoice together in the redemptive power of Christ over the dark forces of a fallen world.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Our digital archives are a work in progress. Let us know if corrections need to be made.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
More from this Issue
Read These Next
- TrendingRussell Moore: I Already Miss Tim Keller’s Wise VoiceThe late pastor theologian gave strong counsel to me and so many others in ministry.
- From the MagazineWhen Politics Saved 25 Million LivesTwenty years ago, Republicans, Democrats, evangelicals, gay activists, and African leaders joined forces to combat AIDS. Will their legacy survive today’s partisanship?
- Editor's PickBecome a Shadow of Your Future SelfManifesting isn’t the answer. Consenting to holiness is.