Just over 10 years ago, Judson E. “Buddy” Childress, at age 24, was in charge of the University of Virginia account for the Xerox Corporation. He had been promoted four times in two-and-a-half years, from salesman to account executive. His goal was to be a millionaire by the time he was 30.
Today, Childress, a native of Richmond, Virginia, has somewhat different goals. As director of Needle’s Eye Ministries, Inc., he has dedicated himself to working with the business and professional community in the Richmond metropolitan area. Childress’s clients are educators, lawyers, physicians, and financial consultants.
Childress’s organization is reaching more than 3,000 people a year. He uses monthly luncheons that feature speakers from the professional community, weekly Bible studies designed to evangelize and strengthen members, special seminars on such topics as time management, and the counseling services of the Christian Counseling Center, which is an agency of Needle’s Eye.
A faith ministry, Needle’s Eye depends on gifts for 75 percent of its approximately $45,000 annual budget. The remaining 25 percent comes from seven churches of different denominations in the Richmond area that include Needle’s Eye in their annual budgets.
Childress has been engaged in this work for four years, following his graduation from Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary in Massachusetts. He finds it to be the most difficult work he has ever done. “I think the hardest person to bring to Christ is the business and professional person,” said Childress. “He’s got too many gods he has to give up.” It was not all that long ago that Childress himself responded to the claim that Christ ...1
Already a CT subscriber? Log in for full digital access.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more