Style: Corporate worship with a country flair; compare to Paul Baloche, Andrew Peterson, Ty Herndon
Top tracks: "Brand New Day," "Wash Away," "The Faithful Love of Jesus"
In a nutshell: Today's Christian music release schedule rarely features a record with explicit country colors. But Nashville-based worship leader Don Poythress knows a little about the genre; his songs have been recorded by country notables like Tim McGraw, Clint Black and Kellie Pickler. Combining his dual professions, the veteran songwriter releases his first live worship recording full of rootsy dobros, bending fiddles, and chiming pedal steel. More than its lovely acoustic tinges and well-crafted songs, Poythress' tender voice and humble leadership keep this performance purposed on faith. Add guest spots by bluegrass pioneer Ricky Skaggs and worship connoisseur Paul Baloche and Wash Away is a clean winner.
Copyright © 2009 Christian Music Today. Click for reprint information.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingAfter Nashville, Moral Numbness Is Our EnemyShootings have become normal to the American public. But as Christians, we know better.
- From the MagazineBhutanese Nepali Refugees Turn Their Trials into Zeal for EvangelismThousands found Jesus while displaced, which prepared them to plant churches and settle in a new land.
- Editor's PickThis Palm Sunday, Ponder Donkeys, Not BranchesFor his entry into Jerusalem, Jesus picked a symbol of lowliness rather than military might.