Subscribe to this Podcast:
n today’s episode we continue with part three of our four-part pod-class series on mentorship. If you missed it, please check out last week’s episode with Christine Caine, where she cautioned us to not confuse platform with ministry. This week we sit down with Jo Saxton to gain some practical tips on what mentoring is, how we can get a mentor, and why we need to cultivate environments that let us use our gifts.
Heather also sits down to discuss the latest research on mentoring with Dr. Meryl Herr, director of research and resources at Fuller Seminary's Max De Pree Center for Leadership. She earned her MDiv and PhD at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School and resides in Watkinsville, Georgia, with her husband and two sons.
Jo Saxton is an author, speaker, and leadership coach who has led ministries and nonprofits, and pastored and planted churches. Jo is cohost of Lead Stories, a podcast that she does with her good friend Pastor Steph O’Brien. Jo and Steph share leadership stories and cover current issues with the aim of encouraging, equipping, and empowering leaders to discover all God has for them. She has written several books, including Ready to Rise and More Than Enchanting. Jo also has launched the digital program Leadership Coaching Community to help women develop their leadership skills and connect with other leaders around the world.
Heather Thompson Day is an associate professor of communication at Andrews University in Berrien Springs, Michigan. She is the author of eight books, including I’ll See You Tomorrow and It’s Not Your Turn. Reach out to Heather on Twitter @HeatherTDay and on Instagram @heatherthompsonday.
Viral Jesus is a production of Christianity Today
Host and creator: Heather Thompson Day
Executive Producer: Ed Gilbreath
Producer: Loren Joseph
Associate Producer: Azurae Phelps
Mix Engineer: Alex Carter
Director of CT Podcasts: Mike Cosper
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingCompany that Trademarked ‘Worship Leader’ Makes Others Drop the TermPopular meme accounts lose social media pages after being reported by Authentic Media, which says it coined the phrase.
- From the MagazineBhutanese Nepali Refugees Turn Their Trials into Zeal for EvangelismThousands found Jesus while displaced, which prepared them to plant churches and settle in a new land.
- RelatedHillsong Says It Is Moving ForwardNew revelations will require increased accountability, but pastor wants to look to the future.
- Editor's PickChristians, Stop ‘Giving Up God’ for LentIn an age of functional atheism, ‘tis the season for traditional fasting and prayer.