Subscribe to this Podcast:
In 2021, Juneteenth—also known as Emancipation Day or Freedom Day—became the United States federal holiday, but many are still unaware of its origins and significance in American history. On this special episode of VOICES’s Where Ya From? podcast, author and associate professor Dr. Carey Latimore shares with us the legacy of Juneteenth and the radical faith it still inspires today.
Carey H. Latimore IV serves as associate professor of history, co-director of the African American studies program at Trinity University, and associate pastor of a local church. Frequently asked to serve as a commentator and consultant on current topics such as race, land ownership, political identity, and religion for local and state media and organizations, he has also authored Unshakeable Faith: African American Stories of Redemption, Hope, and Community and The Role of Southern Free Blacks During the Civil War and appears in Our Daily Bread Media’s documentary film Juneteenth: Faith & Freedom. Dr. Latimore and his wife reside in San Antonio, Texas.
Notes & Quotes:
- “I think Black people in their faith were kind of presenting a mirror and a window into the essence of the gospels that many people have forgotten or left behind.”
- “On Juneteenth, people start talking about what we can be, what we can do. What we have done. It’s an inspiring moment because we think of the possibilities.”
- “When one group becomes free, we all become freer.”
- “When those people came out of slavery at Juneteenth, we all came a little bit out of slavery. We all lost one link on that chain on our way towards a greater freedom, so that’s why we celebrate.”
- Visit our website to sign up for emails.
- Leave us a review.
- Check out VOICES Collection from Our Daily Bread Ministries
- Follow Where Ya From?on Instagram.
- Follow VOICES on Instagram.
- Follow Dr. Carey Latimore on Twitter.
- Explore more Juneteenth resources from VOICES.
- Check out Dr. Carey Latimore’s book, Unshakeable Faith: African American Stories of Redemption, Hope, and Community.
- 1 and 2 Samuel
- 1 and 2 Kings
- Exodus 6:5
- Acts 10-34
- Hebrews 11
- Joshua 4
From Our Daily Bread Ministries in partnership with Christianity Today.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingWorship Music Is Emotionally Manipulative. Do You Trust the Leader Plucking the Strings?The Spirit is at work, but so are the mechanisms around high-production sets.español
- From the MagazineEve’s Legacy Is Both Sin and RedemptionThe first woman tried to get free of God. But when she aligned herself with God’s purposes, she became the ‘Mother of All the Living.’
- RelatedBecome a Shadow of Your Future SelfManifesting isn’t the answer. Consenting to holiness is.
- Editor's PickThe Spiritual Battle of Teen Screen TimeKids’ addictions to their phones isn’t a legislative issue. It’s a discipleship one.