1. Hurricane Katrina Pounds Gulf Coast: Storm prompts local churches, denominations, and ministries to deliver unprecedented aid response.
2. Tsunami Spurs Massive Relief Effort: Christians quickly mobilize financial assistance after massive tsunami devastates parts of Southeast Asia in late 2004.
3. Benedict XVI Succeeds John Paul II: Evangelicals mourn loss of advocate for orthodoxy and culture-of-life champion. Cardinals stick with John Paul II's legacy and replace him with doctrinal watchdog Joseph Ratzinger.
4. Terri Schiavo Dies: Controversy over pulling feeding tube and Congress's response sparks firestorm regarding end-of-life decisions and evangelical politics.
5. Supreme Court Vacancies Trigger Debate: Christian conservatives push hard for "strict constructionists, " with mixed results. Senate confirms John Roberts as chief justice. Harriet Miers faces determined criticism and withdraws; President Bush nominates Samuel Alito.
6. Evangelicals Target Global Poverty: Christian activists join rock stars to lobby G-8 for debt relief, and Rick Warren unveils his PEACE plan.
7. Media Spotlight Religion: 2004 "values voters" bring reporters into churches, Time releases list of 25 most influential evangelicals, The New York Times promises more religion coverage, and CNN hires full-time religion correspondent.
8. Graham Leads Final Crusade: New York City marks the end of renowned evangelist's public ministry.
9. Stem-Cell Research Worries Many: Cloning and funding march on; evangelical opinion seems split.
10. Narnia Hits Theaters: Hollywood seeks "Passion dollars" with film adaptation of C. S. Lewis's The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.
CT has collected its coverage of Katrina, the tsunami, Popes Benedict XVI ...1
Already a CT subscriber? Log in for full digital access.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 60+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more