"I was called to start a mission, not a church. … You don't try to preach … what is sin and what isn't sin. A mission is a place where you ask nonbelievers to come and find faith and hope and feel love."
Robert H. Schuller, of the Crystal Cathedral, after removing his son, Robert A. Schuller, from the Hour of Power television program.
(Source: Los Angeles Times)
"If we can stay positive and hopeful, God will bring us through to a better day."
Joel Osteen, on the economic downturn.
(Source: Detroit Free Press)
"We can't believe everything ancient writings tell us, but this research represents a confluence between the archaeological and scientific data and the Bible."
Thomas E. Levy, a University of California, San Diego, archaeologist, on new carbon dating of a copper smelting operation in ancient Edom that places it in the 10th century B.C., three centuries earlier than previously believed and consistent with the traditional timeline of King Solomon.
(Source: Los Angeles Times)
"It's murder of a life."
Thomas White, vice president for student services and theology professor at Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, on oral contraceptives. The pills prevent fertilized eggs from implanting in the uterus. White says not all birth control is sinful, but that he sinned in not depending on God's timing for children.
"There can never be service effectuated on the named defendant."
Judge Marlon Polk, of Douglas County (Neb.) District Court, throwing out Sen. Ernie Chambers's lawsuit against God because you cannot deliver him a summons to appear in court.
(Source: Omaha World Herald)
Copyright © 2008 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
See Christianity Today's news section and liveblog for more news updates.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Our digital archives are a work in progress. Let us know if corrections need to be made.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
More from this Issue
Read These Next
- TrendingEvangelicals Are the Most Beloved US Faith Group Among EvangelicalsAnd among the worst-rated by everybody else.
- From the MagazineWhy Does Creation Groan?Scripture and science suggest that animal suffering fits into a divine artistic story.
- RelatedWhat Evangelicals Owe HaitiTo understand the island nation’s crisis and what the church must do now, start with what we didn’t do.español
- Editor's PickKnowing the Future Doesn’t Cure AnxietyOur true comfort comes in trusting in the one who holds tomorrow.