Dietrich Bonhoeffer: Recommended Resources
For information about Bonhoeffer’s own writings, see Exploring Bonhoeffer’s Writings in this issue. Here Dr. Clifford Green, professor of theology and ethics at Hartford Seminary, recommends books about Bonhoeffer. For a comprehensive bibliography, see Bonhoeffer Bibliography: Primary Sources and Secondary Literature in English by Wayne W. Floyd and Clifford J. Green (Evanston: American Theological Library Association, 1991). For information about scholarly publications and conferences, write: The Bonhoeffer Society, English Language Section, c/o Dr. Geffrey B. Kelly, Secretary, La Salle University, 1950 West Olney Avenue, Philadelphia, PA 19141.
• Eberhard Bethge, Dietrich Bonhoeffer: Man of Vision, Man of Courage (New York: Harper & Row, 1970). The standard biography, by Bonhoeffer’s closest friend and editor; unrivaled.
• Eberhard Bethge, Costly Grace: An Illustrated Introduction to Dietrich Bonhoeffer (New York: Harper & Row, 1979). A short biography, written about a decade after the previous one.
• Eberhard Bethge, et al., eds., Dietrich Bonhoeffer: A Life in Pictures (Philadelphia: Fortress, 1986). An informative historical presentation through photographs—a great gift.
• Keith Clements, A Patriotism for Today: Love of Country in Dialogue with Dietrich Bonhoeffer (London: Collins, 1986). Written by a British scholar in the wake of the Falklands War, it addresses a perennially vexing question.
• Geffrey B. Kelly, Liberating Faith: Bonhoeffer’s Message for Today (Minneapolis: Augsburg, 1984). A fine introduction to Bonhoeffer’s thought.
• Larry Rasmussen, Dietrich Bonhoeffer: Reality and Resistance (Nashville: Abingdon, 1972). A scholarly examination of the theology and ethics informing Bonhoeffer’s ...