"In Africa Christianity changes people's hearts. It brings a spiritual transformation. The rebirth is real. The change is good."
Matthew Parris, a self-described "confirmed atheist," gay journalist, and former British politician, on why he thinks Christian evangelism is the solution to Africa's biggest problems.
(Source: The Times)
"[P]ro-life people got mouthy. They were always doing and saying stuff that was ugly. So that's what the media captured. They didn't capture people who were meek and loving and kind being mistreated. They captured pro-life people mistreating."
John Piper, on why the pro-life rescue movement did not have the success that the civil rights movement had.
(Source: Desiring God blog)
"The statute is a subtle effort to force students at impressionable ages to contemplate religion."
U.S. District Judge Robert W. Gettleman, ruling against an Illinois law requiring a moment of silence in public schools.
(Source: Chicago Tribune)
"We remain a young nation, but in the words of Scripture, the time has come to set aside childish things. … This is the source of our confidence — the knowledge that God calls on us to shape an uncertain destiny."
President Barack Obama, in his inaugural address.
Copyright © 2009 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
See Christianity Today's news section and liveblog for more news updates.
Earlier Quotation Marks columns are available from February 2009, January 2009, December 2008, October 2008, September 2008, August 2008, July 2008, June 2008, May 2008, April 2008, March 2008, February 2008, January 2008, and earlier issues of Christianity Today.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Our digital archives are a work in progress. Let us know if corrections need to be made.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
More from this Issue
Read These Next
- TrendingJunia, the Female Apostle Imprisoned for the GospelWhat Scripture tells us about the story of this “outstanding” Jewish woman in chains.Português
- From the MagazineWhy Does Creation Groan?Scripture and science suggest that animal suffering fits into a divine artistic story.
- RelatedHillsong Says It Is Moving ForwardNew revelations will require increased accountability, but pastor wants to look to the future.
- Editor's PickPresbyterian School Mourns 6 Dead in Nashville ShootingVictims include the head of school and the 9-year-old daughter of the church’s lead pastor.español