Subscribe to this Podcast:
Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ And if they would, I do not do that thing.” - Dwight Schrute, The Office
In an age of cultural division and religious disagreement, many people feel that talking to someone with a different perspective on faith is, well, something an idiot would do. But today’s episode of The Russell Moore Show tells a different story as Russell welcomes Rainn Wilson, best known for his iconic performance as Dwight Schrute, to the podcast.
Wilson is fascinated by spirituality. In fact, he’s the cofounder of SoulPancake, which develops content rooted in human connection (remember Kid President?), and the author of the book Soul Boom.
Moore and Wilson’s conversation covers pop culture depictions of religion, Wilson’s upbringing in the Baháʼí Faith, and what it was like to skyrocket from relative obscurity to fame. They talk about trying to discuss religion in Hollywood, what transcendence means, and whether or not the longing for justice points to a judgment day. And they consider what it might look like to encourage today’s young people to consider the role of faith in their lives.
Resources discussed during this episode include:
- Soul Pancake
- Rainn Wilson and the Geography of Bliss
- Soul Boom: Why We Need a Spiritual Revolutionby Rainn Wilson
- The Artist’s Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity by Julia Cameron
Pre-order Russell’s new title, Losing Our Religion: An Altar Call for Evangelical America, here!
Do you have a question for Russell Moore? Send it to email@example.com.
Click here for a trial membership at Christianity Today.
“The Russell Moore Show” is a production of Christianity Today
Executive Producers: Erik Petrik, Russell Moore, and Mike Cosper
Host: Russell Moore
Producer: Ashley Hales
Editor and Mix Engineer: Dan Phelps
Associate Producers: Abby Perry and Azurae Phelps
CT Administration: Christine Kolb
Social Media: Kate Lucky
Director of Operations for CT Media: Matt Stevens
Production Assistance: coreMEDIA
Coordinator: Beth Grabenkort
Video Producer: John Roland
Theme Song: “Dusty Delta Day” by Lennon Hutton
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingChristian and Missionary Alliance Will Ordain WomenMinisters may now use the title “pastor” regardless of gender.
- From the MagazineOur Worship Is Turning Praise into Secular ProfitWith corporate consolidation in worship music, more entities are invested in the songs sung on Sunday mornings. How will their financial incentives shape the church?español
- RelatedA Tale of Two New York City PastorsOne formed me. The other entertained me.简体中文繁體中文
- Editor's PickPCA’s 50th Anniversary Comes During a Season of GriefPresbyterians expect less fight and more fatigue as they gather following the Covenant shooting and the deaths of Harry Reeder and Tim Keller.