Parting the Waters: America in the King Years 195463
By far the most readable of the civil rights histories, filled with fascinating background on the African American church and Martin Luther King's personal makeup, plus riveting storytelling. This book will keep you up at night.
* * *
Bearing the Cross: Martin Luther King, Jr., and the Southern Christian Leadership Conference
David J. Garrow
A 700-page blockbuster and Pulitzer winner that provides a comprehensive history of King and the movement he led and inspired.
* * *
Carry Me Home: Birmingham, Alabama: The Climactic Battle of the Civil Rights Revolution
McWhorter grew up in privileged, white Birmingham, and she provides a graphic panorama of both white and black forces that grappled for power there. No book I know so expands the social, economic, and religious canvas. The book is messy but intoxicating.
* * *
The Beloved Community: How Faith Shapes Social Justice, from the Civil Rights Movement to Today
Marsh combines the skills of a theologian, historian, and storyteller to bring a probing and meditative description of the civil rights movement, its triumphs and failings, up to its impact on today's social justice movements.
* * *
Walking with the Wind: A Memoir of the Movement
John Lewis and Michael D'Orso
Congressman Lewis lived every aspect of the movement: he was beaten several times, arrested more, elected and then deposed as head of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee, finally entering politics. This memoir is testimony to an incredible era.
Copyright © 2008 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
Previous top 5 lists had books about social justice, church history, popular culture, the Civil War, apologetics, atheism, and sex.
Shaking the System is available from ChristianBook.com and other retailers.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Our digital archives are a work in progress. Let us know if corrections need to be made.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
More from this Issue
Read These Next
- TrendingRussell Moore: I Already Miss Tim Keller’s Wise VoiceThe late pastor theologian gave strong counsel to me and so many others in ministry.
- From the MagazineEve’s Legacy Is Both Sin and RedemptionThe first woman tried to get free of God. But when she aligned herself with God’s purposes, she became the ‘Mother of All the Living.’
- RelatedChristian Faith Was Jackie Robinson’s Haven in a Heartless WorldA new biography offers an intimate account of his spiritual life, on and off the baseball field.
- Editor's PickWorship Music Is Emotionally Manipulative. Do You Trust the Leader Plucking the Strings?The Spirit is at work, but so are the mechanisms around high-production sets.