-9 The percentage-point change in Republican Party identification since 2001 (from 38% to 29%) among those who seldom or never attend church.
0 The percentage-point change in Republican identification of those who attend church weekly (52%).
40% Americans who believe sex between an unmarried man and woman is morally wrong.
45% Americans who believe having a baby outside of marriage is morally wrong.
56% Americans who believe abortion is morally wrong.
49% New church attendees who have transferred from other congregations, according to Protestant pastors.
32% New church attendees who were unchurched.
19% New church attendees who were children born to adults attending church.
(Source: LifeWay Research)
Copyright © 2009 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
See our earlier Go Figure postings from June 2009, May 2009, April 2009, March 2009, February 2009, January 2009, December 2008, November 2008, October 2008, September 2008, August 2008, July 2008, June 2008, May 2008, April 2008, March 2008, February 2008, January 2008, December 2007, November 2007, October 2007, September 2007, and earlier issues.
Find hope and historical insight. For a limited time, explore 60+ years of CT archives for free!
- Daily devotions from Timothy Dalrymple during this pandemic.
- Hundreds of theology and spiritual formation classics from Philip Yancey, Elisabeth Elliot, John Stott, and more.
- Home delivery of new issues in print with access to all past issues online.
- View the complete archive.
- Join now and get print issues access to archive PDFs.