Is Christian media a better tool for discipleship or evangelism? A new study released at the 2015 NRB convention examines just who exactly engages with Christian books, radio, TV, and movies.
“Christian media delivers teaching, music, and entertainment to a predominantly Christian constituency,” said Ed Stetzer, executive director of LifeWay Research. “Not surprisingly, those who embrace Christian teaching will value and consume these the most.”
However, approximately one-third of the audience for Christian media qualifies in LifeWay's eyes as "unchurched." The study found:
- 35 percent of those who saw a Christian movie last year are unchurched.
- 31 percent of those who watch Christian TV frequently or sometimes are unchurched.
- 28 percent of those who read Christian books frequently or sometimes are unchurched.
- 26 percent of those who listen to Christian radio frequently or sometimes are unchurched.
- 26 percent of those who listen to Christian podcasts frequently or sometimes are unchurched.