While media and marketers were trumpeting the baby-boom generation, an entire wave of Americans moved into their 50s, 60s, and 70s. Today social scientists (and astute church leaders) are coming to see the vastness and significance of this overlooked and rapidly growing generation. For example, did you know that:
- There are more Americans 65 years of age and older than the entire population of Canada?
- The over-55 population is multiplying three times faster than the population at large?
- Since 1982, the number of persons in the U.S. over age 65 has exceeded those under the age of 18 years?
- Life expectancy will increase from 75 years to 80 years within the decade?
- The U.S. is moving from a youth-oriented culture to a nation of middle-aged and older adults.
- The 65-years-plus group represents 12 percent of the national population? (In churches, this group represents 20 percent.)
America, and the entire Western World, has found itself in the midst of what sociologists are calling an age ...1