Style: Ethereal, soothing instrumentals; compare to Windham Hill, Iona
Top tracks: "When We Were Young," "WaterSky," "Waltzing by Moonlight"
Jeff Johnson and Phil Keaggy are masterful, veteran instrumentalists, and combining their talents has proven a magical move. Their first collaboration, Frio Suite, is first rate. They've upped the ante with WaterSky, an hour of gentle, atmospheric, stick-to-your-brain keyboards and guitars that again find Laity Lodge, a Christian retreat center on the Frio River in central Texas, as the source of inspiration. Johnson and Keaggy take turns with melodic underpinnings over eight evocative tracks, letting the other accompany with lead flourishes in what could pass for "live" in-the-moment music. Quiet, relaxing, meditative—an ideal soundtrack for a crisp autumn afternoon.1
Already a CT subscriber? Log in for full digital access.
Find hope and historical insight. For a limited time, explore 60+ years of CT archives for free!
- Daily devotions from Timothy Dalrymple during this pandemic.
- Hundreds of theology and spiritual formation classics from Philip Yancey, Elisabeth Elliot, John Stott, and more.
- Thought journalism that inspires you to think more deeply about your faith.
- View the complete archive.
- Join now and get print issues access to archive PDFs.