How does history affect how we use our voices today? In this episode of VOICES’ Where Ya From? podcast, recently retired VOICES Executive Editor Joyce Dinkins discusses her family’s history of surviving slavery and oppression and how her faith inspires her to uplift other marginalized Christian voices.
Joyce Dinkins recently retired from serving with VOICES (ExperienceVoices.org) at Our Daily Bread Ministries (ODBM). In 2017, she began serving the ministry’s effort to develop resources for diverse African American audiences, as well as to champion content by Black writers for general audiences. Joyce acquired authors, edited, and wrote content for the ministry. This content includes special editions of the Our Daily Bread devotional, for Our Daily Bread Publishing books, and she collaborated in content development for audible and film productions at ODBM’s US headquarters.
Before joining ODBM in 2015, Joyce spent nine years managing editorial for New Hope Publishers books and media; four years as a NavPress magazine editor; and thirteen years as a David C. Cook curriculum and book editor. Her freelance writing has included projects for a number of other Christian publishers.
She earned her BA magna cum laude from Northern Michigan University and a masters in curriculum development and instruction from Colorado Christian University. In 2014 and 2015, Joyce received awards for fiction and nonfiction editing from the American Writers and Speakers Association (AWSA).
Joyce is associate director of the Academy of Christian Editors, is a member of the Evangelical Christian Publishing Association Board subcommittee on diversity and inclusion, and has served the Publishing in Color conference since its inception. By collaborating with peers in a range of publishing conferences, she enjoys sharing her enthusiasm and experiences.
Notes & Quotes:
- “Just a little of God’s Word goes a long way.”
- “My voice will tell the stories of my grandparents, my great-grandparents, my story, my siblings, and all with the goal of pointing to the Father . . . our God who made us in His image and wants us to shine for Him.”
- “God gets the credit for. . . you see what I’ve come out of . . . . God’s word in His power and His faithfulness does prevail.”
- Learn more about Our Daily Bread Ministries’ VOICES.
- Read Our Struggle, Our Hope, Our Victoryand Our Help.
- Hear from Joyce and more African American women of faith in Our Daily Bread Publishing’s Blessed Is She book.
- Visit our website to sign up for emails. Get new episodes sent straight to your email.
- Tell us how much you love Where Ya From? by rating us five stars and leaving us a review.
- Check out our VOICES Collection from Our Daily Bread Ministries
- Follow Where Ya From?on Instagram.
- Follow VOICES on Instagram.
- Hebrews 4:12
- Ephesians 2, 8, 9, and 10
- Revelation 12:11
- Psalm 150:6
- Ephesians 2:10
From Our Daily Bread Ministries in partnership with Christianity Today.