The growing presence of atheism in the United States continues to bring up difficult questions about the role of religion and the existence of God and has led to a surge in Christian apologetics. The 21st-century "new atheists," including bloggers and authors such as Sam Harris, Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, and Daniel Dennett, affirm their beliefs more openly and publicly than ever before. Recognizing the value of community living presented by religious groups, atheists and other non-theists have even founded church-like community groups and summer camps, though the range of atheist opinions on dialoguing with religious institutions varies widely. Christianity Today continues to analyze and track the influence of atheism and secularism on politics, society, and popular thought.
- Why Does Creation Groan?Scripture and science suggest that animal suffering fits into a divine artistic story.
- Christians, Stop ‘Giving Up God’ for LentIn an age of functional atheism, ‘tis the season for traditional fasting and prayer.
- They’re Not Religious. But They Oppose Abortion.“Nones” take a more prominent place in the pro-life movement.
- My Train Wreck ConversionAs a leftist lesbian professor, I despised Christians. Then I somehow became one.español
- Black Americans See the Biggest Shift Away from FaithThere are more unaffiliated African Americans, but they’re also more likely to return.
- David Foster Wallace Broke My HeartTen years after his suicide, I marvel at his genius but mourn the crushing burdens he carried.
- From the Rise of the ‘Nones’ to the Indifference of the ‘Never Weres’A sociologist observes the changing tides of American antireligion.
- Nicole Cliffe: How God Messed Up My Happy Atheist LifeI had no untapped, unanswered yearnings. All was well in the state of Denmark. And then it wasn’t.
- My Husband Is Deconstructing His Faith. How Do I Journey with Him?This Valentine’s Day, some of us are called to love unbelieving wives and husbands.