- I just read Timothy George's article on biblical authority and interpretation ["What We Mean When We Say It's True," Oct. 23]. After all the discouraging and divisive "battle for the Bible" controversies a few years ago, I was pleased to find such a balanced, sophisticated, yet humble overview of the issues evangelicals face in seeking to uphold the authority of Scripture and apply the inspired Word to faith and practice of living Christian communities. When I read articles like this, I feel evangelical scholarship is truly coming of age and evangelicals are increasingly well-positioned to provide leadership for the whole Christian church as it enters the twenty-first century.
- David C. Downing
I'm puzzled: If we evangelicals really approach God's Word as inerrant and perspicuous, why have so many ignored or concocted systems to explain away Jesus' teachings on loving one's enemies? The early church understood the Word of God to be inerrant and chose not to participate in any violent response to evil for over 300 years. If we approach God's Word as inerrant and perspicuous, shouldn't we practice it as such?
- Gary Blosser
A NEAT DISPOSITION OF PROBLEMS?
* Craig S. Keener in "Kisses and Veils" [Oct. 23, sidebar] was necessarily brief but came across as making pronouncements that neatly dispose of problems simply not considered.
For example, 1 Corinthians 11:16 indicates [that what] Paul taught regarding head covering was observed by all churches at that time. Yet research shows this cultural practice varied from place to place. The apostle seems to have been urging a practice for the church that countered culture, ...1
Already a CT subscriber? Log in for full digital access.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 60+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more