"Islam is a religion in which God requires you to send your son to die for him. Christianity is a faith in which God sends his son to die for you."
Cal Thomas, radio commentator, claiming to quote Attorney General John Ashcroft, who has denied making the remark. Thomas stands by the quote.
"They evidently didn't care if they offend anyone who did believe in God."
Don Wildmon, American Family Association president, protesting the lack of "under God" on Dr Pepper's "One Nation . …Indivisible" cans. Dr Pepper said it was just trying to be patriotic.
"There is no way to understand the horror of priestly pedophilia in the Archdiocese of Boston and elsewhere unless one accepts the existence of the Evil One as a powerful reality."
Uwe Siemon-Netto, UPI religion correspondent.
"I have three Bibles. Just let someone try to take them away."
An unnamed American MP, based in Saudi Arabia, where practicing Christianity is banned.
Sources: The Washington Post, AFA.net, UPI, The New York Times
Copyright © 2002 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
Articles referenced in the above quotes include:
Men of Faith in Washington, D.C., Need Our Prayers by Cal Thomas — Crosswalk.com
Alleged Remarks on Islam Prompt an Ashcroft Reply — The Washington Post (Feb. 14, 2002)
Dr Pepper Skips 'Under God' On Patriotic Cans — CNSNews.com
Who's a Pepper? — Snopes.com
AFA Update from Don Wildmon — American Family Association
Commentary: It's time to name Satan — United Press International (Feb. 11, 2002)
See Christianity Today's Quotation Marks from November, December, January, February and March.
For more quotations to stir the heart and mind, see Christianity Today'sReflections:
Past Reflections columns include:
Crucifixion (March 28, 2002)
God's Mission (February 13, 2002)
On Enemies (January 8, 2002)
Life After Christmas (December 26, 2001)
Love & Marriage (November 13, 2001)
The Word of God (October 22, 2001)
Leadership (October 11, 2001)
Suffering (September 13, 2001)
Change (August 14, 2001)
Living Tradition (July 18, 2001)
Sacred Spaces (June 11, 2001)
Friendship (May 17, 2001)
The Cross (Apr. 12, 2001)
The Quotable Stott (Apr. 27, 2001)
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Our digital archives are a work in progress. Let us know if corrections need to be made.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
More from this Issue
Read These Next
- TrendingRussell Moore: I Already Miss Tim Keller’s Wise VoiceThe late pastor theologian gave strong counsel to me and so many others in ministry.
- From the MagazineWhen Politics Saved 25 Million LivesTwenty years ago, Republicans, Democrats, evangelicals, gay activists, and African leaders joined forces to combat AIDS. Will their legacy survive today’s partisanship?
- RelatedAmerican IdolsTim Keller explains why money, sex, and power so easily capture our affections.
- Editor's PickBecome a Shadow of Your Future SelfManifesting isn’t the answer. Consenting to holiness is.