"Instead of Fundamentalism defining us as steadfast Bible believers, the term now carries overtones of radicalism and terrorism."
Bob Jones III, suggesting that separatists use preservationist to describe themselves.
"It's rather like the Hare Krishnas being allowed to build a temple on the steps of St. Patrick's Cathedral."
Martin Palmer, British Sinologist discovered remains of a seventh-century church among Taoist temples in northwestern China.
"When our children face a choice between self-restraint and self-destruction, government should not be neutral."
President George Bush, announcing his plan to spend $135 million a year on abstinence-based sex education.
"I just ain't trying to kill another generation."
Mary J. Blige, "queen of hip-hop soul," on why she deleted "let's get drunk" from one of her songs.
"He's almost a man. Let him do what he's got to do."
The late John Wayne, on hearing that his grandson, then a teen, wanted to become a priest. Matthew Munoz was ordained this year at 37.
Copyright © 2002 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
Stories referenced above include:
Ruins of an Old Christian Church on Lao-Tzu's Turf — The New York Times (February 24, 2002)
Parents sue over Crown Point church's 'gross-out game' — The Times (February 16, 2002)
See Christianity Today's Quotation Marks from November, December, January, February, and March.
For more quotations to stir the heart and mind, see Christianity Today'sReflections. Past Reflections columns include:
Words and Writers (April 22, 2002)
God's Mission (February 13, 2002)
On Enemies (January 8, 2002)
Life After Christmas (December 26, 2001)
Love & Marriage (November 13, 2001)
The Word of God (October 22, 2001)
Leadership (October 11, 2001)
Suffering (September 13, 2001)
Change (August 14, 2001)
Living Tradition (July 18, 2001)
Sacred Spaces (June 11, 2001)
Friendship (May 17, 2001)
The Cross (Apr. 12, 2001)
The Quotable Stott (Apr. 27, 2001)
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Our digital archives are a work in progress. Let us know if corrections need to be made.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
More from this Issue
Read These Next
- TrendingJunia, the Female Apostle Imprisoned for the GospelWhat Scripture tells us about the story of this “outstanding” Jewish woman in chains.Português
- From the MagazineJohn 3:16: So Loved, So FamiliarWe need fresh eyes for our faith’s basic teachings, no matter how long we’ve studied the Bible.简体中文繁體中文
- Editor's PickAfter Nashville, Moral Numbness Is Our EnemyShootings have become normal to the American public. But as Christians, we know better.