A Serious Man
2009 | Rated R
Directed by Joel and Ethan Coen
Despite trying to lead an honorable life, Larry Gopnik—a late 1960s, Jewish middle-class Job—finds his life falling apart for no apparent reason, which leads him on a search for God's purpose in the midst of suffering.
East of Eden
1955 | Rated PG
Directed by Elia Kazan
An adaptation of John Steinbeck's novel, the film retells the story of Cain and Abel and, in some ways, spins it on its head. Set in central California during World War I, James Dean plays the infamous evil brother who so desperately longs for his father's affection.
Children of Men
2006 | Rated R
Directed by Alfonso Cuarón
As a man transports a miraculously pregnant woman to safety in 2027, a time in which children are no longer born, the Nativity story plays out in this dystopian world. The child could help scientists solve the infertility epidemic and save humankind.
Grapes of Wrath
1940 | UnRated
Directed by John Ford
In this historical exodus of the Great Depression, a family of displaced farmers from Oklahoma seeks hope in the Promised Land of California. But as with the Israelites, they find the journey to be long, hard, and, in the end, not what it seemed.
1988 | UnRated
Directed by Krzysztof Kieślowski
This series of short films takes a close look at the Ten Commandments. Through socio-realistic stories surrounding everyday life in Communist Poland, each captivating film explores the meaning of a commandment with intimacy and integrity.
David Roark, a Dallas-based writer and film critic
Copyright © 2011 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
More from this Issue
Read These Next
- TrendingRussell Moore: I Already Miss Tim Keller’s Wise VoiceThe late pastor theologian gave strong counsel to me and so many others in ministry.
- From the MagazineI Find Comfort in the Divine WarriorA surprising psalm changed my view on God’s presence during seasons of trial.
- RelatedBible Gateway Removes The Passion TranslationPopular among charismatics, the “heart-level” Bible version was criticized as a paraphrase posing as translation.
- Editor's PickBecome a Shadow of Your Future SelfManifesting isn’t the answer. Consenting to holiness is.