Style: Folk-inspired pop; compare to John Waller, David Gray, Bart Millard
Top tracks: "Turn Around," "Every Little Prison (Deliver Me)," "Heaven Help Me"
As one of the Catholicism's most evangelical singer/songwriters, Maher is equally at home performing at a college or coffeehouse as he is leading worship. Here, the tunesmith spreads the "blue collar gospel" by conveying themes of grace and redemption to the downtrodden. Musically, Maher's a little generic, though he really shines on the gritty acoustic rocker "Turn Around" and the Americana-inspired "Every Little Prison (Deliver Me)," offering comfort to weary. Overall, the project showcases Maher's ability to seamlessly switch between keyboard and guitar.
Copyright © 2011 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingHillsong Says It Is Moving ForwardNew revelations will require increased accountability, but pastor wants to look to the future.
- From the MagazineWhy Does Creation Groan?Scripture and science suggest that animal suffering fits into a divine artistic story.
- Editor's PickGen Z Christians Want Leaders to Keep It RealThat means dropping the façade and admitting their own struggles.