What happens when we see truth as “a means to tribal belonging rather than as a reality that exists outside of us,” as Russell Moore writes in his new book Losing Our Religion: An Altar Call for Evangelical America? That question is at the heart of today’s discussion between Moore and New York Times columnist and author David Brooks.
On a new Losing Our Religion episode of The Russell Moore Podcast, Moore and Brooks discuss culture-making, concentrations of power, and complex social situations. They ponder the potential impact of the recent affirmative action decision and how artificial intelligence might influence college admissions. Moore and Brooks consider how remembering the humanity of our conversation partners affects the way we dialogue. Their conversation covers the wokeness war, gender and sexuality, and political divides between men and women.
Tune in for a rich discussion of belief, belonging, and building a better world.
This special series of episodes around Russell Moore’s newest book, Losing Our Religion: An Altar Call for Evangelical America, explores the Christian faith in confusing times.
Resources mentioned in this episode include:
- Losing Our Religion: An Altar Call for Evangelical America by Russell Moore
- “What if We’re the Bad Guys Here?” by David Brooks
- “At Fancy Farm, old jabs at McConnell take on new meaning amid health concerns” by Juliana Kim
- How to Know a Person: The Art of Seeing Others Deeply and Being Deeply Seen by David Brooks
- Mónica Guzmán
- Charles Finney
- Iris Murdoch
- “When She Was Good” by Martha C. Nussbaum
- The Identity Trap: A Story of Ideas and Power in Our Time by Yascha Mounk
- Bobos In Paradise: The New Upper Class and How They Got There by David Brooks
- Edmund Burke
- William F. Buckley
- Irving Kristol
- A Treatise of Human Nature (1739–40) by David Hume
- Weave the Social Fabric Project
- Covenant & Conversation: Exodus: The Book of Redemption by Rabbi Jonathan Sacks
- Jordan Peterson on “Club Random with Bill Maher”
- Tim Keller
- The Return of Ansel Gibbs by Frederick Buechner
- “David Brooks on his life-changing pilgrimage with St. Augustine and Dorothy Day” by Bill McGarvey
Grab a copy of Russell’s new title, Losing Our Religion: An Altar Call for Evangelical America, here!
Do you have a question for Russell Moore? Send it to email@example.com.
Click here for a trial membership at Christianity Today.
“The Russell Moore Show” is a production of Christianity Today
Executive Producers: Erik Petrik, Russell Moore, and Mike Cosper
Host: Russell Moore
Producer: Ashley Hales
Associate Producers: Abby Perry and Azurae Phelps
CT Administration: Christine Kolb
Social Media: Kate Lucky
Director of Operations for CT Media: Matt Stevens
Audio engineering by Dan Phelps
Video producer: Abby Egan
Theme Song: “Dusty Delta Day” by Lennon Hutton