Welcome to the quarterly books episode of The Russell Moore Show!
Listen in as Russell and producer Ashley Hales talk about the bookstores, newsletters, and reviews that help them find great reads. The two discuss everything from classic stories to new titles and Christian imagery to transhumanist fantasies. Their conversation also covers family, political history, and engaging with the Scriptures imaginatively.
Books mentioned in this episode include:
- How Far to the Promised Land: One Black Family’s Story of Hope and Survival in the American Southby Esau McCaulley
- Escape into Meaning: Essays on Superman, Public Benches, and Other Obsessions by Evan Puschak
- The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien
- The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis
- Surprised by Joy by C. S. Lewis
- The Singularities by John Banville
- Survival of the Richest: Escape Fantasies of the Tech Billionaires by Douglas Rushkoff
- God with Us: Lived Theology and the Freedom Struggle in Americus, Georgia, 1942–1976 by Ansley L. Quiros
- The Inconvenient Gospel: A Southern Prophet Tackles War, Wealth, Race, and Religion by Clarence Jordan
- Clarence Jordan: A Radical Pilgrimage in Scorn of the Consequences by Frederick L. Downing
- It All Turns on Affection: The Jefferson Lecture and Other Essays by Wendell Berry
- Losing Our Religion: An Altar Call for Evangelical America by Russell Moore
Resources mentioned in this episode include:
- Carmichael’s Bookstore
- The New York Review of Books
- Englewood Review of Books
- The Nerdwriter
- Writing for the Heart Workshop with Ashley Hales and Mike Cosper
- Russell’s newsletter
Do you have a question for Russell Moore? Send it to email@example.com.
Ashley Hales is the producer of The Russell Moore Show, founder of Willowbrae Institute, and an author. Find out more at aahales.com.
“The Russell Moore Show” is a production of Christianity Today
Executive Producers: Erik Petrik, Russell Moore, and Mike Cosper
Host: Russell Moore
Producer: Ashley Hales
Associate Producers: Abby Perry and Azurae Phelps
Director of Operations for CT Media: Matt Stevens
Audio engineering by Dan Phelps
Video producer: Abby Egan
Theme Song: “Dusty Delta Day” by Lennon Hutton