Why did Jesus die? Christians have been debate and exploring the question since the days when Romans still used crosses. But recent challenges to penal substitutionary theory and a resurgent interest in Christus Victor have brought the discussion back into the forefront of evangelical theology.
Nothing But the Blood
More and more evangelicals believe Christ's atoning death is merely a grotesque creation of the medieval imagination. Really?
Your Atonement Is Too Small
Why having more clubs in our theological golf bags helps us to better finish the course.
Surveying the Wondrous Cross
Understanding the Atonement is about more than grasping a theory.
- Can Westerners Atone for Their Sins Without Breeding Resentment and Ingratitude?An imaginary soirée with Douglas Murray, the Christian-friendly agnostic author of "The War on the West".
- Why Christmas Is Bigger Than EasterThe Incarnation exists for the Atonement, but it is also so much more.PortuguêsрусскийУкраїнська
- Why Christ’s Ascension is EssentialJesus’ return to heaven was not an awkward stage exit but the climax of our redemption story.Indonesian
- Holy Week Playlist: Songs to Survey the Wondrous CrossChristian leaders and musicians share their favorite Easter music.
- Jesus Is Risen! Now What?We’re quick to affirm the Resurrection, but we often miss its full meaning.
- What Atonement Theories Tell Us About Our PoliticsThey were developed in their historical contexts. What does that mean for today?PortuguêsFrançais
- When We Survey the Wondrous CrossLent invites us to gain perspective by facing our mortality.
- ’Tis Mystery All! The Immortal Dies!How can we even begin to understand this astonishing, amazing love?
- The Stunning Humility of GodJesus’ gruesome death didn’t happen randomly or accidentally. He knew very well what was coming his way.
- Why We Sing Such a Bloody SongThe power of “There Is a Fountain” is its insistence that Jesus' death was real, was messy, and made all the difference.