- We deny that a proper understanding of the love and justice of God warrants the hope of universal salvation.
- We affirm that the life of a human being begins at conception (fertilization) and continues until biological death; thus, abortion (except where the continuance of the pregnancy imminently threatens the mother’s physical life), infanticide, suicide, and euthanasia are forms of murder.
- We deny that killing in self-defense, in state-administered capital punishment, or in wars justly fought, is necessarily a violation of the sanctity of human life.
- We affirm that in the marriage pattern ordained by God, the husband as head is the loving servant-leader of his wife, and the wife as helper in submissive companionship is a full partner with her husband.
- We deny that homosexual practice can ever please God.
- We deny the kingdom of God can be established by the power of civil governments.
- We affirm that God, who is just and loving, has a special concern for the poor in their plight.
- We affirm that mankind’s dominion over the earth imposes a responsibility to protect and tend its life and resources.
Already a CT subscriber? Log in for full digital access.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more