North AmericaCharles Swindoll, president of Dallas Theological Seminary, has been appointed to the position of chancellor. John Walvoord, the seminary's current chancellor, has been elected chancellor emeritus. Both appointments become effective in May 2001. A review committee will present a recommendation for a new president this fall. James Guy Jr., 47, president-elect of Northwestern College in Orange City, Iowa, has decided not to assume the presidency for personal reasons, according to a press statement. Guy was scheduled to begin his new position at the Reformed Church in America school on July 1.Mark U. Edwards Jr., 53, will resign from the presidency of St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minn., effective October 1. The school is affiliated with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.Chuck Colson and Franklin Graham met with inmates at the Sussex Correctional Institution in Georgetown, Del., on Easter Sunday to launch " Operation Starting Line," an evangelistic program to reach the nation's 2 million prisoners during the next five years. Follow-up events will include Bible studies and post-release mentorship. The outreach is sponsored by more than a dozen Christian ministries, including the American Bible Society, Campus Crusade for Christ, the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, Mission America, the National Black Evangelical Association, Prison Fellowship Ministries, and Promise Keepers.
Copyright © 2000 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Our digital archives are a work in progress. Let us know if corrections need to be made.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
More from this Issue
Read These Next
- TrendingHillsong Says It Is Moving ForwardNew revelations will require increased accountability, but pastor wants to look to the future.
- From the MagazineWhy Does Creation Groan?Scripture and science suggest that animal suffering fits into a divine artistic story.
- Editor's PickJunia, the Female Apostle Imprisoned for the GospelWhat Scripture tells us about the story of this “outstanding” Jewish woman in chains.