"This provision is meant to protect health care entities from discrimination."
Rep. David Weldon (R-Florida),on an approved federal spending bill that in part will prevent discrimination against health care providers that refuse to perform abortions.
"[International sensitivity] toward the phenomenon of anti-Semitism should be similarly extended to the Islamic and Christian religions . [Muslims] showing keenness not to violate Islam should go along with showing greater keenness not to hurt other faiths."
Hosni Mubarak, in a televised speech by the Egyptian president on Lailat al-Qader, the holiest night of Ramadan.
"We felt that if he has found God, then he is ready to go to heaven."
Lorraine Rhoads, a juror who in 1982 sentenced murderer William Payton to death. The jury was mistakenly told not to consider his conversion to Christianity, and the Supreme Court will rule whether that instruction is enough basis for a new hearing.
"I will not allow this situation to turn into a witch hunt of any sort."
Charles Bennison, Episcopal bishop of Pennsylvania, after it was revealed that two of his priests had written Wiccan ceremonies. The two priests later repented.
"So many Christians, so few lions."
Gerald S. Rellick Full text of a letter in the Los Angeles Times after the election.
Copyright © 2005 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
Sources: David Weldon quoted by the Associated Press, Hosni Mubarak quoted by the Associated Press, Lorraine Rhoads quoted in The Orange County Register, Charles Bennison in a press release from the Diocese of Pennsylvania, Gerald S. Rellick's comment about Christians and lions is no longer available from the Los Angeles Times, but was linked in Weblog on Nov. 16, 2004.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Our digital archives are a work in progress. Let us know if corrections need to be made.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
More from this Issue
Read These Next
- TrendingHillsong Says It Is Moving ForwardNew revelations will require increased accountability, but pastor wants to look to the future.
- From the MagazineIs It Time to Quit ‘Quiet Time’?Effective biblical engagement must be about more than one’s personal experience with Scripture.
- Editor's PickThese 3 Japanese Christian Women Changed Their CountryMeet an early evangelist, an education reformer, and a preacher who held Bible studies with the royal family.