Style: Lush, pastoral post-folk; compare to Bright Eyes, Danielson Famile, Anathallo
Top tracks: "Every Thought a Thought of You," "Bullet to Binary (Pt.2)," "King Beetle on the Coconut Estate"
In a nutshell: On their fourth full-length album, mewithoutYou completes the transformation from a twitchy, screamo juggernaut to acelebratory, post-folk commune.Less a search for God than it is a joyful and fearfulsurrender, It's All Crazy is a record of stories. While the band plays pastoral, fractured Americana, Aaron Weiss sings (truly, his yowls arenow rare) fables of faith and mantras of submission, forgiveness, and devotion. Only "Bullet to Binary (Pt. 2)" matches the unhinged desperation of previous albums; the band's newfound creative disciplineis stirring and genuinely—unlike somemusic that claims this adjective—inspirational.
Copyright © Christian Music Today. Click for reprint information.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
Read These Next
- TrendingTim Keller and Beth Moore, On and Off the StageBoth leaders have huge followings. But how well do we really know them?
- From the MagazineJohn 3:16: So Loved, So FamiliarWe need fresh eyes for our faith’s basic teachings, no matter how long we’ve studied the Bible.简体中文繁體中文
- Editor's PickCriminal or Not, Trump’s Case Is a Moral Test for ChristiansThe former president’s potential arrest shows that character does matter.