Appointed • Mark Young, as president of Denver Seminary , effective July 1. A professor at Dallas Theological Seminary, Young was the founding dean of the first evangelical seminary in Wroclaw, Poland.
Appointed • Mary Hulst, 39, as chaplain of Calvin College. Hulst, who holds an M.Div. from Calvin Theological Seminary, is the first woman to be ordained in the Christian Reformed Church. She pastored a church in Grand Rapids, Michigan, for eight years.
Appointed • James Bradford, 56, as Assemblies of God general secretary. Bradford, the pastor of Central Assembly of God in Springfield, Missouri, replaces John Palmer, who resigned after admitting ethical misconduct.
Died • Fred Winters, pastor of the 1,400-member First Baptist Church in Maryville, Illinois, after he was shot in the chest by a gunman during a Sunday service March 8. He was 45.
Appointed • Craig Williford, as acting president of Trinity International University in Deerfield, Illinois. Williford, the former president of Denver Seminary, will be officially voted in at the Evangelical Free Church of America's conference in June.
Resigned • James Dobson, founder of Focus on the Family, from his position as Focus's board chair in February. He will continue to host the radio program.
Copyright © 2009 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
See Christianity Today's news section and liveblog for more news updates.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Our digital archives are a work in progress. Let us know if corrections need to be made.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
More from this Issue
Read These Next
- TrendingEvangelicals Are the Most Beloved US Faith Group Among EvangelicalsAnd among the worst-rated by everybody else.
- From the MagazineJohn 3:16: So Loved, So FamiliarWe need fresh eyes for our faith’s basic teachings, no matter how long we’ve studied the Bible.
- RelatedWhat Evangelicals Owe HaitiTo understand the island nation’s crisis and what the church must do now, start with what we didn’t do.español
- Editor's PickChristians from Myanmar Call for the Release of Jailed Baptist LeaderHkalam Samson, former head of the Kachin Baptist Convention, was internationally known for his advocacy