Jerry Falwell was a noted evangelical pastor and televangelist. A (late in life) member of the Southern Baptist Convention, Falwell founded the Virginia megachurch Thomas Road Baptist Church, as well as Liberty Christian Academy (formerly Lynchberg Christian Academy) and Liberty University, now the largest private nonprofit university in the United States. Falwell also founded the Moral Majority, a key evangelical political lobby group that for many exemplified the religious right.
The Jerry Falwell We Never Knew
He hangs out with liberal pundits and gay activists. Is this the same Jerry Falwell who founded the Moral Majority?
By Edward Gilbreath|
Falwell, Megachurch Pastor Who Organized Religious Right, Dead at 73
Self-described fundamentalist countered movement's tradition of separatism.
The Quest for the Historical Jerry
You can tell a lot about someone by what he says about Falwell.
- Jerry Falwell Jr. Isn’t a HypocriteBut the former Liberty president is a cautionary tale for cultural Christianity.Russell Moore|简体中文繁體中文
- What Happens at Liberty Doesn’t Stay at LibertyThe Falwell investigation has far-reaching consequences for local churches in Virginia and beyond.Hannah Anderson|
- Quick To ListenEpisode 225|46minWhy Liberty Finally Reacted to Jerry Falwell Jr.’s AnticsHow the popular evangelical university and its president fit into the larger world Christian higher ed.Morgan Lee|
- Jimmy Carter at Liberty Is 2018’s Most Surprising Yet Hopeful Commencement SpeakerHow the president on the other side of the Moral Majority ended up invited to its unofficial headquarters.William Ringenberg|
- How Southern Baptist Leaders Aided My Escape from AbuseChristian men helped me end a violent marriage. Their voices matter now more than ever.Autumn Miles|
- Online Christian Higher Ed SkyrocketsLiberty, Grand Canyon universities super-charge distance education.Paul Glader|
- Why Jimmy Carter Was (and Is) a Rare BreedRandall Balmer's new biography says the former president’s political and religious activism made everyone uncomfortable.John G. Turner|
- Liberty UnboundHow Jerry Falwell's ambitious sons have led the Lynchburg university to financial success and a burgeoning student body.John W. Kennedy|
- One of Jerry's KidsKevin Roose sojourns at Liberty U. and lives to tell (mostly good things) about it.Interview by Paige Winfield|
- Jerry Falwell Was RightGod really does judge the nations, new book argues.Stephen H. Webb|