"We are God's partners in matters of life and death."
President Barack Obama, on a conference call with 1,000 rabbis to promote his health-care reform efforts.
"You push your religion on others, you cause nuisance and offense. … Religion in Singapore can't be the same as religion in America or in an Islamic country. We all have to adopt 'live and let live.'"
Lee Hsien Loong, Singapore's Prime Minister.
"The anc [African National Congress] will rule until the Son of Man comes. He must come back while we are still in power."
Jacob Zuma, president of South Africa.
Ecumenical News International
"Do you want me to pull out some darts and throw [them] at our directory?"
Chad Woltemath, vice president of the Michigan branch of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, when asked for examples of struggling churches in his state.
The Wall Street Journal
"It used to be, 'Is there a God?' and now it's, 'What I know about God I don't like.'"
Wade Bradshaw, outreach pastor of Trinity Presbyterian Church in Charlottesville, Virginia, on the questions people are asking.
The Washington Times
Copyright © 2009 Christianity Today. Click for reprint information.
See Christianity Today's news section and liveblog for more news updates.
Earlier Quotation Marks columns are available from September 2009, August 2009, July 2009, June 2009, May 2009, April 2009, March 2009, February 2009, January 2009, December 2008, October 2008, September 2008, and earlier issues of Christianity Today.
Have something to add about this? See something we missed? Share your feedback here.
Our digital archives are a work in progress. Let us know if corrections need to be made.
Subscribe to Christianity Today and get access to this article plus 65+ years of archives.
- Home delivery of CT magazine
- Complete access to articles on ChristianityToday.com
- Over 120 years of magazine archives plus full access to all of CT’s online archives
- Learn more
More from this Issue
Read These Next
- TrendingJunia, the Female Apostle Imprisoned for the GospelWhat Scripture tells us about the story of this “outstanding” Jewish woman in chains.Português
- From the MagazineBhutanese Nepali Refugees Turn Their Trials into Zeal for EvangelismThousands found Jesus while displaced, which prepared them to plant churches and settle in a new land.
- RelatedHillsong Says It Is Moving ForwardNew revelations will require increased accountability, but pastor wants to look to the future.
- Editor's PickLiberty Appoints Retired General, Air Force Chaplain as New PresidentAlumnus Dondi E. Costin steps in to lead years after Jerry Falwell Jr.’s scandal.