From a contemporary translation by Kate Hettasch of Geschichte der Mission der evangelicschen Bruder auf den Caraibischen Inseln, S. Thomas, S. Crocr, und S Jan, Barby, 1777 by Christian Georg Andreas Oldendorp.
September 30, 1452: the first section of the Gutenberg Bible was finished in Mainz, Germany, by the printer Johannes Gutenberg. It is unclear when Gutenberg conceived of his Bible project, though he was clearly in production by 1452. He probably produced about 180 copies — 145 that were printed on handmade paper imported from Italy and the remainder on more luxurious and expensive vellum. Only four dozen Gutenberg Bibles remain, and of these only 21 are complete.